Homemade BBQ Sauce
Yield: 2 & 1/4 cups sauce
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped finely
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like it spicy)
- 22-oz crushed tomatoes (or 28oz can if that’s what you have)
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses (see note)
- 1/3 cup white vinegar + 1 tbsp apple cidar vinegar (or just use more white vinegar)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard (Dijon works too)
1. In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in oil on medium heat for about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the mustard and cook for about 30 minutes uncovered over low heat. Stir occasionally and make sure not to burn it.
3. Add the mustard and taste for sweetness/sourness. Add more sugar, salt, vinegar, etc if you think it’s necessary to achieve your desired flavour. Cook for another few minutes.